Simple 7-Day Plan to Jump-Start Your Weight Loss
Want to jumpstart your weight loss journey? Try this 7-day plant-based diet for weight loss and give yourself the best start.
I was in my 30s when I got some concerning news from my gynecologist and I was scared. She had found a growth on one of my ovaries and wanted to schedule surgery to remove it. The thought of surgery scared me and I needed time to think about it. I knew it was serious, but I didn’t want to rush into surgery before exploring all of my options.
After letting the news sink in for a few minutes, I decided I didn’t want to live in a position of fear. I decided that I wanted to take control of my health and my outcome. I convinced my doctor to give me one month and then check me again. She agreed, although very reluctantly.
So I started on a health journey that included changing what I ate because I knew from experience that what I ate affected my health—positively and negatively.
I had faced something similar in my 20s, and changing to a plant-based diet for weight loss, with exercise, totally reversed the negative health results at that time. So I knew I had to return to what I knew would work.
So I cut out all meat and dairy products, ditched processed food, avoided refined sugars, and followed a pure whole food, plant-based diet.
Can you lose weight on a plant-based diet?
In just 7 days, I gained more energy and felt better than I had in months. And some of my health problems were beginning to subside.
But the unexpected results were that I lost one and a half inches on my waist, one inch on my hips, and seven pounds…all in seven days.
Motivated, I continued my new health plan relentlessly. And I prayed fervently. I returned to my doctor in one month after consistently following that same whole-food, plant-based diet for weight loss.
To my delight, and her amazement, they could find no trace of the growth. And after checking a few times, she dismissed me telling me to keep doing whatever it was I was doing. While my main goal was to get rid of the growth, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I had also lost a little over 15 pounds in the process.
I stuck with this new eating lifestyle for a few years with great results. The growth never returned and I was able to maintain my weight loss—at least for a while. Unfortunately, I lost my way over time.
We started having children and I left my corporate job to stay home. With the added stress of raising kids, working from home, and homeschooling, I found myself reaching for more processed and fast foods. And the weight began to pile on again. I talked about “doing better tomorrow” for quite some time until I made up my mind to return to what I knew would work. I’m happy to report that, once again, this diet (along with daily walking) proved to be successful and I have returned to my goal weight.
In 2001, I participated in the Adventist Health Study-2. From 2001 and 2007, 96,000 participants were enrolled in this study about the diet and lifestyle of Adventists. Participants would fill out hospital history forms and list any hospitalizations and diagnoses of stroke, cancer, heart attack, and diabetes experienced.
The results showed a progressive weight increase from a total vegetarian diet to a non-vegetarian diet. It also revealed that BMI was lowest in vegans (23.6) and highest in nonvegetarians (28.8). The study concluded that vegetarian diets may play a beneficial role in promoting health and preventing obesity.
Tips to Jump-Start Your Weight Loss
With these results in mind, here are ways you can boost your weight loss efforts:
- Fill your plate with real, whole, plant-based foods–such as vegetables, fruits, high-protein grains, plant-based proteins, and healthy fats. These foods will serve as the primary foods in your diet.
- Avoid highly-processed or packaged foods, as well as artificial ingredients, such as certain preservatives and additives.
- Eat regular, balanced meals along with healthy snacks that nourish your body. Prepare foods at home more often and pack home-cooked meals for times away. When you do have to eat out, choose healthy and nutritious plant-based meals.
- Stay active during the day with exercise and other physical activities. Then get adequate sleep each night to help the body repair and rejuvenate.
- Stay hydrated by drinking the recommended amount of water daily, which is roughly about 64 ounces for most.
- Avoid eating after 6 pm each evening. Allow your body time to digest the day’s food and to rest and repair. You will be ready to break the fast first thing in the morning with a healthy meal.
What to Eat for Maximum Weight Loss
Eating plant-based, whole foods will nourish the body and help support weight loss. Foods I added to my diet include:
- Vegetables (consume raw salads as well as properly cooked veggies)
- Vegetable juices (juicing is a good way to get a variety of nutrients our bodies require in a highly absorbable form)
- Fresh fruits
- Whole grains (avoiding any that cause allergic reactions or inflammation in your body)
- Seeds and nuts (on a limited basis)
- Omega-3 fatty acids (found in plant foods like chia seeds, flaxseeds, and walnuts)
- Plant-based milk substitutes (like rice, soy, and almond)
Foods to Avoid
To have optimal health, you’ll have to leave some foods alone—they really just aren’t your friend.
Foods to avoid include:
- Animal foods, such as meat, poultry, fish, or shellfish
- Dairy (including eggs, milk, cheese, and butter)
- Processed and refined foods, such as white flour, bread, and pasta (eat whole grains instead)
- Added (processed) sugars in any form (small amounts of natural sugars are fine)
- Vegetable oils (including margarine)
- Preservatives and additives
7-Day Plant-Based Diet for Weight Loss
Losing weight starts with having a healthy body. And this 7-day weight loss plan is a perfect way to jumpstart your weight loss journey.
This 7-day challenge is just the introduction to a wonderful new lifestyle. Over the next seven days, you’ll see just how simple and tasty this plant-based diet can be. Just click on the links to view the recipes.
Printable Weight Loss Jumpstart Guide
Want a printable copy of the Weight Loss Jump-Start guide? Click the link below to get your copy. It’s seven days of plant-based meals and suggested workout routines to help you jump-start your plant-based weight loss journey.
Other Weight Loss Resources
If you want to increase your chances of being successful with your weight loss journey, here are some additional resources that may help:
This Women’s Fitness Weight Loss Planner is designed to help you stay on track with your health and fitness goals.
It comes with an easy-to-use daily and weekly schedule template to help you plan meals, workouts, and other activities. With this planner, you can easily keep track of what you’re doing, so you can see your progress and stay motivated.
Learn more: Women’s Fitness Planner
This Motivational Monthly Weight Loss Journal is designed to keep you motivated and help you reach your weight loss goals. It provides space for you to record your daily calorie intake and activity levels, set weekly goals, and track your progress.
The journal also includes helpful tips and inspiring quotes to help keep you motivated throughout the month.
Learn more: Monthly Weight Loss Journal
Save it for later: